144. Emotions at Work
About this Podcast
Ep. 144 – Do you hide or guard your emotions at work? Or do you worry about coming across as “too emotional”?
Yes, you might want to bring your whole self to work but you also don’t want to lose credibility by being too emotionally involved or by losing your poise.
In this episode of The Manager Track podcast, I am going to share how you can manage your emotions effectively while being intentional and aware of your impact on others. You will learn where our emotions come from, how to navigate them, what to pay attention to, and the four steps you can take when you notice your emotions at work.
share this story
- Responses to Ramona’s LinkedIn Poll: “At work, it feels best to me to show…”:
- 14% None of my emotions
- 75% Some select emotions
- 11% Most of my emotions
- Schedule a free strategy call with Ramona to discuss how she can help you 1:1 with managing your emotions and growing as a leader.
- Learn how to turn your 1-on-1 meetings from time wasters, awkward moments, status updates, or non-existent into your most important and valuable meeting with your directs all week. Access the course and resources here: ramonashaw.com/11
- Have a question or topic you’d like Ramona to address on a future episode? Fill out this form to submit it for her review: https://www.ramonashaw.com/ama
Grab your copy of Ramona’s best-selling new book ‘The Confident & Competent New Manager: How to Rapidly Rise to Success in Your First Leadership Role’: amzn.to/3TuOdcP
If this episode inspired you in some way, take a screenshot of you listening on your device and post it to your Instagram Stories, and tag me @ramona.shaw.leadership or DM me on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/in/ramona-shaw
Are you in your first manager role and don’t want to mess it up? Watch our FREE Masterclass and discover the 4 shifts to become a leader people love to work for: ramonashaw.com/masterclass
Don’t forget to invest time each week to increase your self-awareness, celebrate your wins, and learn from your mistakes. Your career grows only to the extent that you grow. Grab your Career Journal with leadership exercises and weekly reflections here: ramonashaw.com/shop
Love the podcast and haven’t left a review yet? All you have to do is go to ramonashaw.com/itunes and give your honest review. Thanks for your support of this show!
* Disclaimer: Shownotes may contain affiliate links. That means that I am awarded a small commission for purchases made through them, at no added cost to you.
01:37 How you manage your emotions affects your leadership
06:11 LinkedIn Poll: How much of your emotions feel best to show at work?
13:38 Four things to do when you notice your emotions
14:05 #1 – Label It
14:44 #2 – Challenge It
15:43 #3 – Be Curious
17:25 #4 – Be Mindful