Ep. 177 – Emotional labor, it’s that game face we put on when we have doubts, worries, or fears, but others expect confidence from us.
Let’s face it, that can be exhausting and draining.
But here’s the thing, if we ignore this emotional labor, it can lead to overwhelm, burnout, and loss of motivation.
There are ways to manage emotional labor effectively. In this episode, I’ll discuss the concept of “emotional labor” in the context of leadership and its implications, including the feeling of exhaustion, stress, and overwhelm it can cause as well as provide some practical tips to help manage the symptoms it can cause.
You can watch it on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/y7xAAb2SvXs
- Recognize the emotional labor you’re exerting in your leadership role.
- Regularly reset and find ways to manage your emotional well-being.
- Determine where you can be more genuine and where you need to project certain emotions.
- Implement boundaries and practice compassionate detachment.
- Be self-compassionate and give yourself the grace to feel and process emotions.
— RESOURCES MENTIONED —
- Schedule a Strategy Call with Ramona Shaw
- The concept of emotional labor introduced by sociologist Arlie Hochschild.
- Learn how to turn your 1-on-1 meetings from time wasters, awkward moments, status updates, or non-existent into your most important and valuable meeting with your directs all week. Access the course and resources here: ramonashaw.com/11
- Have a question or topic you’d like Ramona to address on a future episode? Fill out this form to submit it for her review: https://ramonashaw.com/ama
— OTHER EPISODES YOU MIGHT LIKE —
— WHAT’S NEXT? —
Grab your copy of Ramona’s best-selling new book ‘The Confident & Competent New Manager: How to Rapidly Rise to Success in Your First Leadership Role’: amzn.to/3TuOdcP
If this episode inspired you in some way, take a screenshot of you listening on your device and post it to your Instagram Stories, and tag me @ramona.shaw.leadership or DM me on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/in/ramona-shaw
Are you in your first manager role and don’t want to mess it up? Watch our FREE Masterclass and discover the 4 shifts to become a leader people love to work for: ramonashaw.com/masterclass
Don’t forget to invest time each week to increase your self-awareness, celebrate your wins, and learn from your mistakes. Your career grows only to the extent that you grow. Grab your Career Journal with leadership exercises and weekly reflections here: ramonashaw.com/shop
Love the podcast and haven’t left a review yet? All you have to do is go to ramonashaw.com/itunes and give your honest review. Thanks for your support of this show!
* Disclaimer: Shownotes may contain affiliate links. That means that I am awarded a small commission for purchases made through them, at no added cost to you.
— CHAPTERS —
00:00 Introduction to emotional labor and its effects on leaders.
00:30 Role and expectations from a leader.
01:00 Definition and origin of the term “emotional labor”.
02:00 Expectations and projections in leadership roles.
03:00 Example of Katy Perry to illustrate short-term emotional labor.
04:00 Changing expectations from leaders over the years.
05:00 Awareness of emotional labor and its draining effects.
06:00 Ways to manage and recognize emotional labor.
07:00 The importance of self-awareness and setting boundaries.
09:00 Practicing self-compassion and emotional distancing.
11:00 Pitfalls of suppressing emotions and pushing through.