165. Overdone Strengths
About this Podcast
Ep. 165 – In this episode of The Manager Track Podcast, host Ramona Shaw discusses the concept of ‘Overdone Strengths’ and how it impacts leadership effectiveness. She offers insights on why it’s critical to understand this concept for self-awareness and leadership development, provides concrete examples, and shares some strategies for recognizing and managing those overdone strengths.
— ACTION STEPS —
- Reflect on your own strengths and assess if any might be overdone.
- Consider scheduling a strategy call with Ramona Shaw for guidance.
- Remember the APS method for leadership development: Awareness, Principles, System.
- Solicit feedback from colleagues or managers to uncover any overdone strengths.
share this story
- Schedule a Strategy Call with Ramona Shaw
- Learn how to turn your 1-on-1 meetings from time wasters, awkward moments, status updates, or non-existent into your most important and valuable meeting with your directs all week. Access the course and resources here: ramonashaw.com/11
- Episode 74: How My APS Method Helps (New) Managers Succeed
- Episode 18: How to Ask for Feedback
- Episode 29: The Two Common Blindspots Managers Have and How to Overcome Them
Grab your copy of Ramona’s best-selling new book ‘The Confident & Competent New Manager: How to Rapidly Rise to Success in Your First Leadership Role’: amzn.to/3TuOdcP
If this episode inspired you in some way, take a screenshot of you listening on your device and post it to your Instagram Stories, and tag me @ramona.shaw.leadership or DM me on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/in/ramona-shaw
Are you in your first manager role and don’t want to mess it up? Watch our FREE Masterclass and discover the 4 shifts to become a leader people love to work for: ramonashaw.com/masterclass
Don’t forget to invest time each week to increase your self-awareness, celebrate your wins, and learn from your mistakes. Your career grows only to the extent that you grow. Grab your Career Journal with leadership exercises and weekly reflections here: ramonashaw.com/shop
Love the podcast and haven’t left a review yet? All you have to do is go to ramonashaw.com/itunes and give your honest review. Thanks for your support of this show!
* Disclaimer: Shownotes may contain affiliate links. That means that I am awarded a small commission for purchases made through them, at no added cost to you.
[00:00] Introduction to Episode 165: Overdone Strengths
[00:50] Concept Explanation: What is an Overdone Strength?
[01:44] Analogy Explanation: Music Volume and Overdone Strengths
[03:15] Overdone Strengths: Why it’s Hard to Identify and its Effects on Leadership
[04:06] Perception Differences: How Overdone Strengths are Received by Others
[05:14] Importance of Increasing Self-Awareness in Leadership Development
[05:54] Balancing Overdone Strengths: Competitive and Supportive Leadership Traits
[07:24] Exploring Examples: Adaptable Leadership and Supportive Leadership
[12:25] Personal Case Study: Overdoing Quick Decision-Making
[14:17] Wrapping up: Scheduling Strategy Call and Overview of the APS Method for Leadership Development