160. What if I don’t like to lead?
About this Podcast
Ep. 160 – Today, we’re tackling a common dilemma: what should you do when you’re expected to assume a leadership role, but deep down, you’re not sure you’re ready for the role, or you’re just not interested?
Earlier last week, I came across a post on Reddit by someone seeking advice on their situation at work. Her boss was soon retiring, but she was having a difficult time getting others to believe that she was not interested in applying for the position. Her coworkers weren’t able to grasp the idea that she preferred to remain in a supportive team member role.
In this episode of The Manager Track podcast, we’re going to talk about what to consider if you’re unsure if leadership is the right path for you. Maybe you’re thinking about stepping into a leadership role or you are already leading and wondering if you made the right decision.
I have some thoughts and perspectives on this that I hope will help you gain some clarity around the different paths of leadership. I’ll be giving you some nuggets to reflect on during this episode, including a ‘No Go’ list of preferences that indicate leadership wouldn’t be right for you.
Watch this episode on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/yqeT4mv9-dY
share this story
- r/careeradvice: People don’t understand I don’t want to be a leader
- Learn how to turn your 1-on-1 meetings from time wasters, awkward moments, status updates, or non-existent into your most important and valuable meeting with your directs all week. Access the course and resources here: ramonashaw.com/11
- Have a question or topic you’d like Ramona to address on a future episode? Fill out this form to submit it for her review: https://ramonashaw.com/ama
Grab your copy of Ramona’s best-selling new book ‘The Confident & Competent New Manager: How to Rapidly Rise to Success in Your First Leadership Role’: amzn.to/3TuOdcP
If this episode inspired you in some way, take a screenshot of you listening on your device and post it to your Instagram Stories, and tag me @ramona.shaw.leadership or DM me on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/in/ramona-shaw
Are you in your first manager role and don’t want to mess it up? Watch our FREE Masterclass and discover the 4 shifts to become a leader people love to work for: ramonashaw.com/masterclass
Don’t forget to invest time each week to increase your self-awareness, celebrate your wins, and learn from your mistakes. Your career grows only to the extent that you grow. Grab your Career Journal with leadership exercises and weekly reflections here: ramonashaw.com/shop
Love the podcast and haven’t left a review yet? All you have to do is go to ramonashaw.com/itunes and give your honest review. Thanks for your support of this show!
* Disclaimer: Shownotes may contain affiliate links. That means that I am awarded a small commission for purchases made through them, at no added cost to you.
04:45 Growing in your career without becoming a manager
10:05 Most leaders don’t feel ready when they start their new role
18:02 ‘No Go’ List: Who should not be a leader