158. Building Trust On Your Team – With Doug Thorpeers
About this Podcast
Ep. 158 – Many of the issues, inefficiencies, and interpersonal conflicts we experience in the workplace can be traced back to a lack of trust between people. But how do we build trust in our teams?
In this episode of The Manager Track podcast, I am joined by Doug Thorpe to discuss some common barriers to building trust, the importance of psychological safety, and how you as a leader can begin influencing the level of trust on your team. Doug gives us a glimpse into his most recent book by sharing The Team Trust Model™, which is a diagram consisting of six essential steps that can help you successfully manage others while building a High Trust Team.
Doug Thorpe is an executive coach and business advisor, but he’s also the host of the Leadership Powered by Common Sense Podcast. He’s been a captain in the US Army, a Senior VP in the banking industry, and has authored five books (most recently Trust at Work.)
share this story
- Trust at Work: Tactics and Tools for Building High Performing Teams by Doug Thorpe
- The Team Trust Model™
- Leadership Powered by Common Sense Podcast
- Learn how to turn your 1-on-1 meetings from time wasters, awkward moments, status updates, or non-existent into your most important and valuable meeting with your directs all week. Access the course and resources here: ramonashaw.com/11
- Have a question or topic you’d like Ramona to address on a future episode? Fill out this form to submit it for her review: https://ramonashaw.com/ama
Grab your copy of Ramona’s best-selling new book ‘The Confident & Competent New Manager: How to Rapidly Rise to Success in Your First Leadership Role’: amzn.to/3TuOdcP
If this episode inspired you in some way, take a screenshot of you listening on your device and post it to your Instagram Stories, and tag me @ramona.shaw.leadership or DM me on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/in/ramona-shaw
Are you in your first manager role and don’t want to mess it up? Watch our FREE Masterclass and discover the 4 shifts to become a leader people love to work for: ramonashaw.com/masterclass
Don’t forget to invest time each week to increase your self-awareness, celebrate your wins, and learn from your mistakes. Your career grows only to the extent that you grow. Grab your Career Journal with leadership exercises and weekly reflections here: ramonashaw.com/shop
Love the podcast and haven’t left a review yet? All you have to do is go to ramonashaw.com/itunes and give your honest review. Thanks for your support of this show!
* Disclaimer: Shownotes may contain affiliate links. That means that I am awarded a small commission for purchases made through them, at no added cost to you.
01:48 The Gift of Mentorship
05:00 Importance of Psychological Safety
09:11 Barriers to developing trust
11:53 The Team Trust Model™
20:53 Build trust with questions and systems
28:09 Why you should share this model with your team