137. How to Create a Strong Team Culture – with Gustavo Razzetti
About this Podcast
Ep. 137 – How would your team members describe the culture of your team?
And would you even know how to begin designing a team culture?
In my first few years as a manager, I definitely had no clue how to do this. And in honest reflection, I think I even abdicated the “culture work” to the company, i.e. the executives and HR.
But that was a mistake. As leaders of a team, no matter how big or small, we have influence over the culture and hence, a responsibility to shape and cultivate it in a positive way!
In this week’s episode of The Manager Track podcast, I am joined by Gustavo Razzetti. Having been a culture design consultant for the past 20 years, I invited him to share his tactical insights, tips, and frameworks that you can implement right away.
Gustavo Razzetti is the CEO and Founder of Fearless Culture. Gustavo has helped leaders from Fortune 500 startups, nonprofits, and everything in between on every continent except Antarctica. He’s the creator of the Culture Design Canvas, a framework used by thousands of teams and organizations across the world to map, assess, and design their cultures. He is a prolific writer and author of four books on culture change, including his most recent book called Remote Not Distant. His insights have been featured in the New York Times, Psychology Today, Forbes, BBC, and Fortune, among others.
share this story
- Connect with Gustavo
- Remote Not Distant: Design a Company Culture That Will Help You Thrive in a Hybrid Workplace by Gustavo Razzetti
- FearlessCulture.Design – over 600 free articles and tools on different topics of culture, leadership, and team building to help increase your team’s workplace collaboration, agility, and innovation. (Including the Culture Design Canvas)
- Liberating Structure’s 1-2-4 All – Engage Everyone Simultaneously in Generating Questions, Ideas, and Suggestions
- Learn how to turn your 1-on-1 meetings from time wasters, awkward moments, status updates, or non-existent into your most important and valuable meeting with your directs all week. Access the course and resources here: ramonashaw.com/11
Grab your copy of Ramona’s best-selling new book ‘The Confident & Competent New Manager: How to Rapidly Rise to Success in Your First Leadership Role’: amzn.to/3TuOdcP
If this episode inspired you in some way, take a screenshot of you listening on your device and post it to your Instagram Stories, and tag me @ramona.shaw.leadership or DM me on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/in/ramona-shaw
Are you in your first manager role and don’t want to mess it up? Watch our FREE Masterclass and discover the 4 shifts to become a leader people love to work for –> ramonashaw.com/masterclass
Don’t forget to invest time each week to increase your self-awareness, celebrate your wins, and learn from mistakes. Your career grows only to the extent that you grow. Grab your Career Journal with leadership exercises and weekly reflections here: ramonashaw.com/shop
Love the podcast and haven’t left a review yet? All you have to do is go to ramonashaw.com/itunes and give your honest review. Thanks for your support of this show!
* Disclaimer: Shownotes may contain affiliate links. That means that I am awarded a small commission for purchases made through them, at no added cost for you.
02:28 Gustavo Razzetti
04:09 Designing Team Culture
11:07 The Stinky Fish: Collecting feedback
14:22 Inheriting and Building Culture
17:25 Qualifying Culture
21:30 Co-creating Social Norms
24:12 What did you learn while writing your book?
35:03 Connect with Gustavo