133. How to Hold Career Conversations with Your Directs – with My Team Member Brandy
About this Podcast
Ep. 133 – 9 out of 10 people on your team are thinking about their next career steps, their growth, and their development. If that’s all chatter in their heads or chats with their friends, then you might be caught off guard by resignations or disengagement.
As a manager, it’s your responsibility to create the time and space to speak about your direct reports’ careers (inside AND outside your org!) so you can support them and help them make decisions along the way.
Because if you’re not doing it, they’ll form assumptions and make decisions on their own, often to your surprise.
In this week’s episode of The Manager Track podcast, I am joined by a very special guest. You’ll meet Brandy, my executive assistant and business integrator.
The career conversation process that we will be introducing you to is something that the two of us went through together so we can share our raw and unfiltered experience with you.
I will share my perspective and some very practical tips on how to have career conversations with your employees, but you’ll also hear from Brandy about how the experience was for her and what she got out of it.
This is a special episode for me and for Brandy and we’re excited to share it with you this week!
share this story
- Interested in having a career conversation yourself? Schedule an Intro Call with Ramona to learn more and see if this is the right fit: https://calendly.com/ramonashaw/intro-career-coaching
- When They Win, You Win: Being a Great Manager Is Simpler Than You Thinkby Russ Laraway
- Radical Candor: Fully Revised & Updated Edition: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity by Kim Scott
- Learn how to turn your 1-on-1 meetings from time wasters, awkward moments, status updates, or non-existent into your most important and valuable meeting with your directs all week. Access the course and resources here: ramonashaw.com/11
Grab your copy of Ramona’s best-selling new book ‘The Confident & Competent New Manager: How to Rapidly Rise to Success in Your First Leadership Role’: amzn.to/3TuOdcP
If this episode inspired you in some way, take a screenshot of you listening on your device and post it to your Instagram Stories, and tag me @ramona.shaw.leadership or DM me on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/in/ramona-shaw
Are you in your first manager role and don’t want to mess it up? Watch our FREE Masterclass and discover the 4 shifts to become a leader people love to work for –> ramonashaw.com/masterclass
Don’t forget to invest time each week to increase your self-awareness, celebrate your wins, and learn from mistakes. Your career grows only to the extent that you grow. Grab your Career Journal with leadership exercises and weekly reflections here: ramonashaw.com/shop
Love the podcast and haven’t left a review yet? All you have to do is go to ramonashaw.com/itunes and give your honest review. Thanks for your support of this show!
* Disclaimer: Shownotes may contain affiliate links. That means that I am awarded a small commission for purchases made through them, at no added cost for you.
01:37 Why we should have career conversations
07:17 Part One: Values
10:00 Part Two: Vision
12:13 Part Three: Action Steps
18:02 Impact of this process on the employee
23:09 Importance of trust
23:44 I can now provide better support
25:54 Repeating these conversations
28:25 You are on a stepping stone
30:25 It pays itself forward
34:21 Special offer: short coaching engagement